Mar 22, 2012

Meat & fish market

   Here in Sisimiut we have a small building between our department store, Brugsen, and the TelePost.  For the first few weeks we lived here I wasn't sure what it was.  It had cut out pictures of animals all over the outside, but I didn't notice a name or anything.  One day I got the nerve to go in there and found out that it is our local meat & fish market.

   Most hunters & fishermen bring the meat that they wish to sell here to have it handled for them.  We have found all kinds of meat in here.  They have had everything from rabbits, ducks, various birds to whale, seal, and I think walrus too!  Our kids love to go here and get muskox and reindeer for soups, stews, and roasts.  To me, the muskox and reindeer are just as good frozen as they are fresh, so we can buy the frozen there year round.

  They usually have plenty of fish, most fresh but some frozen.  We can get the things that aren't too strange like cod, salmon, and arctic char all the way to things like stone biter and rose fish.  You can also buy what we would call the innards (liver, roe, etc).

   One thing that we have yet to try is halibut.  They really brag on the halibut here and I hope to get to try some this summer (either buying it or catching it myself ^_^)

   They have hanging in the store is a long piece of whale baleen.  I thought that was really neat.  Click "read more" to see the following pics that I took today while browsing the store.





It was busy today with the fresh whale meat they had
Sea cat (also called wolf eel I think)
It's ok, but not a favorite of ours.
It is a nasty looking critter though!
Fresh whale meat


Walrus I think - it did have whiskers on it!

The processing table


Processing table, complete with a hack saw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a note for us!